Off-Highway Vehicle Use
                           Ouachita National Forest in Oklahoma

Welcome to the Ouachita National Forest in Oklahoma! There are special rules and
regulations for off-highway vehicle (OHV) use. OHVs include ATVs, 4-wheelers, utility
vehicles and motorcycles.

For a more pleasant visit, please take a moment to review the following guidelines:
./ OHVs may be used only on designated National Forest roads and trails constructed
and intended for normal or regular motor vehicle use. A road or trail is closed unless it
is designated on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. Prior illegal ORV use does not imply
permission to ride off the open road. So, just because someone else went around or
over that dirt mound that is closing the road doesn't mean you should do the same.
You will receive a fine .
./ All off-road OHV use is prohibited. This includes the forest floor, streambeds,
powerlines, pipelines, and firelines .
./ Do not ride on or across a highway .
./ OHVs are not allowed on trails designated solely for other uses, including hiking,
mountain biking, and equestrian use. Currently there are no designated OHV trails on
the forest in Oklahoma except for the Choctaw Nation Trail and Billy Creek Trail in
Leflore County .
./ Make sure your vehicle is in good condition with a USDA approved spark arrester .
./ Use the appropriate safety gear - helmet (required by Oklahoma State Law for
those under 18 years), eye protection, boots, and gloves .
./ Passengers may not be carried unless specifically designed for this by the
manufacturer. (Oklahoma State Law) .
./ Obey speed limit (25mph on all Forest Roads) and be considerate of other visitors.
When encountering horseback riders, stop and yield the right-of-way since horses
may be spooked by motorized vehicles.

The Reason for the Rules:
Heavy or irresponsible OHV use can wreak havoc on the environment. Miles of
unplanned trails from heavy OHV use on the forest floor can damage watersheds,
destroy habitats, kill native plant and animal species, and pollute streams and rivers.
To help preserve these resources and the continued opportunities for you to enjoy
using your vehicle on public lands, we ask that you observe the guidelines listed above
and report violations.
Individuals riding in closed areas can currently be fined up to $300. There are other
rules and regulations for the Three Rivers Management Area under the management
of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. Phone: (918) 527-5308
For more information, please contact us at (580)494-6402 (Hochatown),
(918}653-2991 (Hodgen)S (918)567-2326 (Talihina) or visit our website: U~S